Berries and Mushroom
In Finland we have this amazing thing called Everyman’s rights. It gives everyone right to enjoy the wonderful things nature is now full of. Berry season is in its full bloom and the forests provide tussocks of blueberries to indulge, swamps cloudberries. Strawberry season was a bit earlier, lingonberries and cranberries are almost ripe. And after the few heavy rains we’ve got now even mushrooms popping up. My utmost favourite is chanterelle, which one is yours?
It is totally wonderful that everyone can enjoy the Finnish beautiful, fresh and clean nature. As our environmental administration writes:
Public access rights, or so-called everyman’s rights, refer to the right of everyone in Finland to enjoy outdoor pursuits regardless of who owns or occupies an area. You do not need the landowner’s permission, and there is no charge. However, you must not damage the environment or disturb others while exercising public access rights.
The large areas of forests and fells and sparse population in Finland provide an excellent setting for exercising public access rights.
In a nutshell, do’s and don’ts listed:
- walk, ski or cycle in areas outside private gardens and land that is in a specific use (for example cultivated fields and plantations)
- stay for a short period in any area where access is otherwise allowed (for example put up a tent, but not too close to people’s homes)
- pick wild berries, mushrooms and flowers
- fish with a rod and line, and through a hole in the ice in wintertime
- walk on the ice or boat.
You may not
- disturb other people or damage the environment
- disturb nesting birds or game
- cut down or damage trees
- collect moss, lichen, soil or wood
- disturb the privacy of homes
- drive a motor vehicle off the road without the landowner’s permission
- fish and hunt without the appropriate permits.
But the best part is that you don’t have to go any further than Lillan garden for berry delight if you don’t feel like it. There grows strawberries, rhubarb, blackcurrants, raspberries, cherries, wild plums and apples. And they are all available for Lillaneers as they ripe ❤
Today had my little assistant with me welcoming guests. As we waited, she hunted for the raspberry bush treasures.
Worth picking and eating, those raspberries, yummy!